Recognized as the headquarters of the Military Orders of the Temple of Christ, Tomar has a history of over 30,000 years, since the first human settlement to the present day. In the year 1160, D. Gualdim parents founded Tomar and as headquarters of the Orders of the Temple and Christ, Prince Henry was the one responsible for its growth.
The recognition of human settlement comes from pre-history whose traces have dolmens, caves, villages, utensils, tombstones, coins, sculptures and utilitarian pieces. In Roman times, it was here founded the city of Sellium or Seilium that was typical of this period with the characteristic axes cardus and decumanus and along with the ruins of Sellium Forum, which after excavations traces of habitations were found. In this area, there is a convent of the Visigoth era that housed nuns and friars here and runs the legendary martyrdom of Santa Iria.
When Arab occupation, the region is named “Tamarama”, fresh water, and in 1160, Thomar born with its castle, whose construction was ordered by the Knights Templar. In the fourteenth century, Prince Henry remains in the village as Administrator of the Order of Christ, generating a great development, obtaining a new charter, calling attention of architects and painters Domingos Vieira Serrão, João de Castilho, Olivier de Gand, Fernando Muñoz, Diogo de Arruda, Gregory Lopes, João de Rouen and Diogo Torralva who turned Taking an artistic center.
When the Philippine area, the Spanish kings invested in Tomar infrastructure, particularly in the main cloister convent and Pegões aqueduct and created the Feira de Santa Iria, which persists to this day. In the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, there is a large industrial development in Tomar, being created the Prado Bullets Factory, glasses of Matrena, Hats and wiring and fabrics and other paper mills.
With the Queen’s visit Maria II, Tomar amounted city category in the year 1844, consequently other events continued to allow Take evolve, namely the opening of the “Typographia & amp; Photographia “Silva Magalhaes first Tomar photographer since 1862 presents a collection of views, portraits, costumes and scenes of everyday life; in 1901, at the Teatro Nabantino opens the cinema later in 1923 gives the Cinema Paradise; born in 1879 the weekly “The Emancipation” directed by Angelina Vidal and in 1901, Tomar was served with electricity, after Lisbon, Porto, Elvas and Vila Real, who came from Central installed in the complex of the former Village Mills. Already in the 50s, João dos Santos Simões renewed the concept of parties Tablelands offering a designation and national and international projection.
With the increase in cultural and heritage actions in 1983, UNESCO recognized the whole Templar Castle-Convent of Christ, World Heritage, also promoting the renovation of the historic center.