Heritage in Ericeira
Your place name comes from the earth expression hedgehogs, due to the abundance of sea urchins, sea that were present on the beaches of Ericeira. Dating back to 1000 BC, up to modern times, Ericeira has grown from a fishing village to become a Nature Reserve Surf, developing more tourist level and on the waves of inspiration, Ericeira presents unique and beautiful eyes surfers and swimmers.
From Ericeira heritage we must highlight the five churches and chapels of the Historical Centre of Ericeira, which house itself Ericeira inheritance that each tells a complex story floreando with details of all the tradition and Ericeirense life.
The fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, this chapel is located north of Ericeira, near the Algodio and San Sebastian beaches. This features an architecture with elements from different eras, largely due to remodeling or expansion in 1678. Being the headquarters of the Confraternity of San Sebastian, consists only of single young men, until 1968, this became their tombs until they were transferred to the Misericordia Church. For a long time it was held the festivities in honor of St. Sebastian and St. Vincent, which were once the biggest celebration of the village. Currently, these celebrations are recognized as Party Drunk, which villagers and visitors gather in the church square, dancing to popular music sound, eating and drinking.
In the square of the village, this church became the main temple in 1530, suffering alterations and refurbishments, this has elements of rococo architecture and figures that evoke the Apostle Peter fishing cycle. This is the Manueline stonework, an ancient element which in 1984 was declared as Public Interest. Every year here is celebrated the feast of Our Lady of the Conception and the camp of St. Peter.
After donation to Francisco Lopes Franco, this church began to be designed with the help of fishermen, who welcomed his grave, four years later. Baroque architecture, it houses the image of Our Lady of the Rosary, more importantly holder confraternity of Ericeira. This church was the temple where the Brothers of Mercy sat in pews to watch the religious services, which currently houses the Archive-Museum. This was founded in 1937, is the main attraction of the village museum, which holds the assets of Ericeira memory. This contains the symbols of the nine paintings that date back to the seventeenth century, evoking the Passion cycle of Christ, who through the streets of Ericeira, during the Procession of Bonfires on 5th Tuesday before Easter.
In the town center, its foundation is involved in a mystery, it is not known fully to its history, it is believed to have been erected or the fourteenth or fifteenth century, but there are no material this time. Until 1645, it was the seat of the Confraternity of Our Lady of Good Voyage of the Sea Men, then became the place of worship which is currently.
In the village, this is on the outskirts of Santa Marta Park, having been his work started in 1760. Previously, was a hermitage, where according to legend, it was essential to the foundation of the neighborhood and Palace of Needs in Lisbon, with an image of Our Lady of Needs had been taken from the chapel by a couple who were miraculously cured of the plague. This legend also refers to “health home”, saying that near the hermitage was at a spring of medicinal mineral waters of Santa Marta. Once, it was also the headquarters of the Brotherhood of unmarried girls, who in his long held processions and festivities in honor of Our Lady of Needs.