Heritage in Porto Santo
As the first island to be found, its name reflects salvation in a moment of despair. On this island heritage captures attention of the eyes and stimulates the sense to explore a bit more, in fact that is how the Portuguese were kings in the Age of Discovery.
Monument to the Discoveries – erected in honor of the discoveries of the Infante D. Henrique time, this is also recognized as the “Pau soap.” This was inaugurated on August 28, 1960, authored by Antonio Aragão.
Center Cultural Congress of Porto Santo – in Vila Baleira, this modern infrastructure enables the organization of congresses, shows and projections of cinema, a fully equipped space and with great conditions, with an auditorium for 300 people, an exhibition area, room presentations, meetings, workshops, which are supported by bars and multipurpose venues to organize cocktails and meals, and also contains a shopping area and car park. This is open every day from 8h00 to 00h00.
Casa Colombo Museum Porto Santo – are historical elements of Christopher Columbus browser, such as portraits, maps, and parts of the Dutch galleon Sloot Ter Hooge. It was in this house that Christopher Columbus lived when he passed the island of Porto Santo, after his marriage to Filipa Moniz, daughter of Perestrelo first captain donee of Porto Santo. Among several restoration campaigns, only survives in the north wall of the building to witness two Gothic windows. In 1989, the museum opens its doors to the public, performing with two floors, the ground floor houses a shop and a temporary exhibition hall on the subject of Portuguese maritime expansion and the first floor are three thematic rooms. The first room is dedicated to the Portuguese Expansion, with a presentation on the strategic position of the island of Porto Santo and Madeira Archipelago in this context. The second room hosts elements that demonstrate the importance of the Spanish crown during the global expansion and as financially helped the expedition in 1492 of Christopher Columbus; This space also contains a biography brief browser and its family ties with Porto Santo and some notes on the trips to the Americas. The third and fourth room are focused to the Dutch colonial empire, exposing part of the Company’s galleon of the estate of the Dutch Indies “Slot ter Hooge”, shipwrecked in 1724, the north of the island of Porto Santo. This house is open Tuesday to Saturday from 10h00 to 12h30 and from 14h00 to 17h30 and Sunday from 10h00 to 13h00 and closed Monday and holidays.
Church of Our Lady of Mercy – ordered built between 1430-1446, it was rebuilt in the year 1667, one of the main monuments of Porto Santo. This was burned down several times by pirates and corsairs, who landed on this island. Today, inside there is a polychrome ceiling in rocaille style with beautiful altars and screens, Martim Conrado and Max Römer, which arouse attention of all your visitors. This is open every day from 10h00 to 20h00.
Chapel of the Holy Spirit – in the Lower Course, this dates back to the seventeenth century and was rebuilt in the 1st quarter of the nineteenth century. This Mannerist chapel is accompanied by a bell tower, and consists of a single nave and chancel, which welcomes Flemish paintings of the Lord’s Supper, the sixteenth century. This opens only in the schedule of Masses.
Chapel of Our Lady of Grace – the sixteenth century, its hermitage is one of the oldest temples of Porto Santo, which was destroyed in 1812 and rebuilt in 1951. This chapel housed many residents fleeing the persecution of pirates and privateers. On August 15 is celebrated one of the biggest festivities of Porto Santo, in honor of Our Lady of Grace. This church is open from 15 to 15 days, at Mass hours.
Chapel of St. Peter – Porto Santo – located in Campo de Baixo, it has a baroque and mannerist style, having been built in the seventeenth century. It is noteworthy in its interior, the altarpiece in gilded late-Baroque and the chancel roof in false wooden dome, engraved with paintings.