Heritage in Arruda dos Vinhos
The Arruda dos Vinhos municipality is in a fertile valley that allowed its development and hence the evolution of the population, the long centuries. Currently, you can visit this county feeling the magic and mystery, while wandering the streets of the Portuguese Middle Ages, which have a religious mysticism and fighter against the Napoleonic invasions. Regarding the religious heritage are:
Arruda dos Vinhos parish
Mother Church of Arruda dos Vinhosalso known as Church of Our Lady of Salvation, this was rebuilt in the sixteenth century, the order of King Manuel I, on Thanksgiving, during a stay in Arruda, the royal family was saved from an outbreak of plague, that the assolaria Kingdom. With a Manueline style by joining the Baroque, this church is located in the old village center and the August 15, a procession is held in honor of the Patroness.
Hospital and Misericordia Church built 1574, in Baroque and Rococo. This is located in Largo José Vaz Monteiro.
Chapel of St. Lazarus is owned by the Holy House of Mercy, this eighteenth-century building is located on Avenida Afonso Henriques.
Chapel of Our Lady of Monte It is dedicated to Our Lady of Mount Carmel, being located in the center of Arruda valley. On Thursday of Ascension – Municipal holiday, takes place this a pilgrimage.
In parish of Arranhó
Church of St. Lawrence standing in Arranhó parish headquarters was built in the early sixteenth century, with the patron Saint Lawrence, whose celebrations take place in August.
Shrine of Our Lady of Help sought by thousands of faithful during their festivities in September.
In parish of São Tiago
St. James Church of Old related to the pilgrimages to Santiago de Compostela, this church of medieval origin, has in its forecourt a Roman stele with a Latin inscription of Amoena Maelgeini, indicating that space lies a girl. On 25 July, a procession is held in honor of the Apostle Saint James the Greater, through this church.
Chapel Carvalha it was built in dedication to Our Lady of Santa Ana, celebrating a feast in honor of his patron in August.
In parish of Cardosas is the Church of St. Michael the Archangel, dedicated to the Patron Saint of the Parish of Cardosas, whose celebration in his honor take place in September. In its churchyard you can find a stone cross with the date 1724.
The Historical Route of the Lines of Torres also passes through Arruda Village. The 1st Lisbon Defence Line occupied the entire peninsula of Torres Vedras, but the French force did not reach two-thirds of this extension, remaining between Vila Franca de Xira and the passage of Runa. The Luso-British force found itself collected in these lines, except for the Light Division and Brigade Pock, which they entered by Arruda, were surprised by Montbrun troops, when the delay in Alenquer village. These abandoned luggage and wounded, heading for Sobral, staying overnight on October 11 to 12, organizing and carrying out a flank march, along the lines, to win Arruda Wine, who had been totally unprotected. For four weeks this was occupied by the cavalry of the Army Corps of Ney, who looted the village, destroyed files, desecrated churches, stole implements – this became known as the silver throne of the theft of the Patroness, Our Lady of Salvation. Only on November 15, 1810, the atmofera cleared, and General Wellington noted that the French troops had abandoned their positions, and so did his righteousness.
In order to tell the story of the Lisbon Defense Lines, Arruda has the following assets:
- Interpretation Centre of the Torres Lines developed by the municipality of Arruda dos Vinhos, this aims to present the Lines of Torres, of which Arruda has two strong that formed the first line of defense. The Strong Lines of Torres being composed by Forte Blind and the Forte da Carvalha. These elements are the most representative and decisive in military defense structures, during the Napoleonic invasions.
- Also known as Fort St. Sebastian, the Cego fort it got its name because of its location in the blind couple. This has the form of “Dragon Foot”. Along with the Carvalha fort protected the Valley Arruda.
- Carvalha fort it is next to the village of Carvalhal, with star-shaped, protected the valley Arruda, allowing crossfire with the invading force, together with the Cego fort.
Other places of historical and cultural interest
- Fountain backrest with three spouts was built in 1789 in order to provide water to the village center population.
- Cultural Center Morgado/Artisan Workshop is a cultural complex located in the heart of Arruda dos Vinhos. This houses the Municipal Library Irene Lisboa, the Municipal Auditorium, the Municipal Gallery, the Tourist Office, the Lines of Torres Interpretation Centre, the Artisan Workshop, the restaurant “Morgado” and Morgado Garden. An architect Mateus Vicente de Oliveira project.
- Old building of the Town Hall also known as Old Town Hall and Chain, accompanies the nineteenth century bell tower, is attached to the Church, located in the center of the old village
- Memorial to Combatants of the Great War this monument was built in memory of the fighters who participated and died in the Great War, which came from the Arruda Municipality.
- Aqueduct in arcades leading the water to the fountain, so the supply Arruda village.
- Mill Custodio allows the view of the village of Arranhó even being considered as a lookout.
- Archaeological Site Castle dating back two seasons of occupation and invasion, the Copper Age and the Iron, being one of the oldest traces of human occupation in the municipality of Arruda dos Vinhos.
- Windmills they are characteristic and determinants of Arruda County orality.
- Cardosas viewpoint allows to have a panoramic view over the valley de Arruda, the giant pit, and clear days, can observe the Montejunto.
- Museum Irene Lisboa located in Arranhó, hosts the exhibition “Irene Lisboa, the Little and Too” that aims to highlight the writer’s life. This is the first cultural project that the City promoted in the field of museology.
- José Marques Simões Bullring this square conveys the bullfighting traditions Arrudense people and their connection to the angry party. This is located on top of the Municipal Garden.
- School Conde Ferreira current headquarters of the Board of Arruda dos Vinhos Parish and is located in the old town of Arruda.
- Viewpoint of Giesteira this is in Giesteira approximately one kilometer from the village Arruda, his view relapsed over the whole valley Arruda
- Academy of Dressage Portugal Daniel Pinto is a project implemented by Sylvain Massa, this aims to promote and develop the dressage / training and other equestrians in order to gather them in one place only, the Academy Dressage Portugal at Quinta da Pataca.
- Wine House collective of Arruda dos Vinhos with production and marketing of wines with more than 50 years, where the wines are considered the best in the region and the country, this winery has joined the route of the West Region Wine Route.