Guimarães, the cradle of the nation, as well known will be. Among historical, religious and cultural monuments that this city offers, highlight some.

Palace of the Dukes of Bragança

Which was built by King Afonso, bastard son of King John I and future Duke of Braganza, this house of the fifteenth century, very sophisticated and fortified is a unique example of the Iberian Peninsula, caretaking its architecture in Northern Europe. With advancing years and abandonment, this house was rebuilt between 1937 and 1959, becoming a museum with a collection of seventeenth and eighteenth century, in which we highlight: a collection that tells the story of the Portuguese Discoveries; four copies of Pastrana tapestries reporting the northern conquest of Africa by Nuno Gonçalves; the Company’s porcelain collection of Indian and Portuguese faience factories of: Prado, Viana, Soares and Rat Rock, among other collections. This manor house has been classified as a National Monument.

Paco dos Duques de Braganca1
Paco dos Duques de Braganca2

St. Anthony of the Capuchin Convent

In Sacred Hill, this century convent has a mobile heritage of Mercy. Currently it belongs to Museology course in Santo António Capuchin Convent, where visitors can explore the inside and marvel for its sacristy of the eighteenth century.

Convento de Santo Antonio dos Capuchos

North destinations of Portugal

Alberto Sampaio Museum

Created in 1928, the Historical Center, it houses collections with great historical and artistic value including the Collegiate Church of Our Lady of Oliveira and other churches and convents of Guimarães region.

Museu de Alberto Sampaio

Museum of Castro Culture and Archaeological Museum Martins Sarmento

Part of the property of the Martins Sarmento Society, aim to present and be focused for the Celtic culture, native that exists in the peninsular northwest, and the cultural matrix of the Atlantic coast of the Iberian Peninsula.

Museu Arqueologico Martins Sarmento


In the tenth century, the Countess Mumadona Dias sends lift in his homestead Vimaranes, current Guimarães, a monastery, which after attacks by Moors and Normans built a fortress to defend the monks and this Christian community, thus arises the primitive Castle Guimarães. In the twelfth century, due to the formation of the Portucalense County, the Count Henrique and Teresa moved to Guimarães, and started work in the castle, to enlarge and strengthen it. Legend has it that D. Afonso Henriques was born in this castle. This is strongly linked to historical moments, such as the Battle of S. Mamede in 1128. Over time, degradation and abandonment, this castle was left to their fate, until the twentieth century, it was declared a National Monument and were restoration works carried out.


Santiago Square

According to tradition, St. James brought the image of the Virgin Mary to Guimarães, putting a pagan temple in a broad, which would later be called Plaza de Santiago, which still preserves its medieval traces.

Praca de Santiago

Church of São Miguel do Castelo

The twelfth century, it was in this romantic style church that Afonso Henriques was baptized. Inside are noble graves warriors who helped the nation’s founding. This church is classified as a National Monument.

Igreja de S. Miguel do Castelo

Nossa Senhora da Oliveira Church

Founded by the Countess Mumadona Days, here come the origins of Insigne and Real Collegiate Church of Our Lady of Oliveira. This building declared a National Monument is represented by the union of styles, from the Gothic reconstruction, Manueline features classical chapel, plasterwork of the largest and side chapels in the neoclassical style and its last intervention of the twentieth century that promoted p granite to the walls and medieval columns.

Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Oliveira

Santa Maria Street

One of the first open streets of the city of Guimarães, which established the link between the monastery created by Mumadona and the castle, this presents along its path architectural testimonies with great value, such as the Convent of Santa Clara, Arco House, the house of Peixotos and the Gothic house of Valadares, which strengthen the identity of Guimarães.

Rua de Santa Maria

Largo do Toural

Current heart of the city, this was a large extramural near the village gate, which was organized cattle fair beef and other products. Over the years, and buildings, this square was turned into Toural, which currently has a Renaissance fountain with three bowls.


Convent of Santa Clara

One of the richest monasteries of Guimarães, this was built in the sixteenth century by Canon Master Collegiate School of Our Lady of Oliveira, Baltasar de Andrade. Currently houses the City Hall of Guimarães and his estate is in the Alberto Sampaio Museum.


House of Nova Street

A characteristic building of Guimarães, this was recovered under the rehabilitation of the historic city center, retaining its unique and exemplary character with the decor of the nineteenth century it was requalified with hand local labor and materials and traditional techniques.

Casa da Rua Nova

D. João l Street

One of the busiest streets, it still retains its vetusto aspect, offering a dark side due to the narrowness of its streets and old houses with wooden balusters of balconies accompanying. In this one of the strong appreciation of monuments is John I of Standard, the sixteenth century, the other is the building of the Venerable Third Order of St. Dominic of the nineteenth century.

Rua D. Joao

Palace and Cultural Center of Vila Flor

Built in the eighteenth century, at the behest of the family of Oaks, it is decorated with statues in granite of the first kings of Portugal, its facade faces a garden on three levels accompanied by a source of the Baroque era. This palace underwent restoration in 2005, housing today, several exhibition halls and the Cultural Center presents with two auditoriums for holding shows and conferences.

Palacio e Centro Cultural Vila Flor

Chapels of the Steps of the Passion of Christ

The Way of the Cross stations are as demonstrations that the people presented as devotion to the Passion of Christ, also spreading up the churches and oratories by the city. In this, there are currently five steps: Largo do Carmo Step, Step Santa Maria Street, Step Largo João Franco, Step Senhora da Guia and Step Fair Field.

Capelas dos Passos da Paixao de Cristo

House of Lobo Machado

Eighteenth century, it is located in one of the noblest streets of the city, once called Crab Street. Currently houses the Commercial and Industrial Association of Guimarães and contains a collection of the Archaeological Centre, with about 30 pieces of ceramic and metal.

Casa dos Lobo Machado

S. Domingos Church

Its origins date back to the construction of the first Dominican monastery and was built between the years 1271 and 1278. Throughout the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, his moth was changing depending on the styles, with Gothic, baroque and romantic elements. After changes, the Blessed Sacrament of the Church of St. Paio is routed to this church, making the parish church of the parish of St. Paio.

Igreja de S. Domingos

House of the memory

As an anchor of history and culture Guimarães, this aims to be the degree of compassion and understanding of all the historical, social, cultural, economic and experiential perspectives, remembering the traditions, memories and roots of this city. This is in the former homeland plastics factory in Conde Avenida de Margaride.

Casa da Memoria

Church and Convent of Dominicas

Historical notes said that there was a temple that invoked the martyr St. Sebastian, which have turned into a church and the extinction of religious orders, along with the demolition of the parish church, this church of San Sebastian moved to the convent of Santa Rosa Lima, known as Temple of Dominicas. This highlighted the main altar in gilt, two side altars in gilt and polychrome carving, the neoclassical altar enshrining the image of St. Sebastian and the Johannine body.

Convento das Dominicas

Church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel

Baroque style, this was dedicated to Santa Teresa. In early 1700, a papal bull allowed the gathered Santa Teresa which took the religious veil Carmelites Discalced, under the invocation of St. Joseph, however, the altar had the image of Our Lady of Mount Carmel. With the extinction of the religious orders, the convent was in state ownership, being used for military purposes and since 1862, welcomes the Home of Santa Estefania.

Igreja de Nossa Senhora do Carmo

Park of the City

In the city center, this presents about 30 hectares, and walking routes for different age groups, between clearings with trees to areas of playground and recreation. With a vast vegetation hugging a lake and a water line, this park is ideal for spending time with family, doing sport or simply relax.

Parque da Cidade

Fence of the Pousada Santa Marinha da Costa

A perfect landscape set is formed by the garden and the park Pousada Santa Marinha, which are surrounded by the old wall of the Monastery of the twelfth century Costa. This fence has always been a source of income and leisure and meditation of the Canons of St. Augustine and later the monks of St. Jerome order. With the extinction of religious orders, this fence has been adapted as a leisure park, with ornamental exotic trees. In 1940 it was classified as public interest, but with a fire, the Conventual wing was destroyed and later abandoned. With the acquisition of the state and consequent adaptation to inn, this group resumed its recreational aspect and leisure.

Cerca da Pousada de Santa Marinha da Costa