From the Paleolithic to the Vila Real region lies inhabited, strongly confirmed by traces as the Cave Shrine of Panóias. However, with Muslim and barbarian invasions, this area was gradually depopulated. In 1096, Count Henry granted the charter to Constantine Panóias to promote restocking. Among several attempts, only in 1289, with the king’s charter D. Dinis, is that it is founded Vila Real Panóias. Its location favors its growth, as it was at the crossroads of Porto-Bragança and Viseu-Chaves. In the twentieth century, Vila Real becomes provincial capital and in 1925 is elevated to city. Among various growth factors, there is the University of Tras-os-Montes and Alto Douro, founded in 1986, which also influenced the dynamism and development of the city, such as the creation of Vila Real Theatre and the Music Conservatory.
Being a rock sanctuary, this is considered the oldest in the Iberian Peninsula and is a unique example in the world, since its rocks have, through registration, the authors of the construction, who would do the honors and what kind of rituals performed there. This presents three large boulders which carved hollows of diverse sizes, focused to the victims of sacrifice.
His first reference dates back to the inquiries of D. Afonso III, in the year 1258. At the end of the seventeenth century were recorded the forums and deadlines collected by his master, Count of Vimioso, and these documents indicate that the estate of the tower also contained other buildings such as a chapel in honor of St. Mary Magdalene and yard. Due to monetary issues, its owner, in the early twentieth century, was intended to dismantle it, but that did not happen and in 1910 was declared a National Monument. Years later, he underwent restoration work and conservation.
One of the best religious examples in Baroque style, it dates back to 1528, and over the years has undergone changes, which highlighted the azulejamento the chancel, the insert panels on the roof and the construction of the façade, lets himself be accompanied by bell towers. In total, it creates a single element in the historic center of Vila Real.
Donating a privileged position in the historic center, this presents simple with a moth given by Nasoni, with Baroque contrasts, where the pediment is surmounted by the statue of St. Peter holding the papal cross. And inside, there are scenes from the life of St. Peter and St. Paul through the tile art.
Erected in 1680 by the Third Order of St. Francis, this over the years has undergone several interventions. Every year on the second weekend of July weekend, the population observes the passage of Lord of Calvary, a procession, which is regarded as the epitome of the Faith of Vila-realenses, with its promises and devotion.
A very significant architectural work in Baroque style, its design is attributed to the architect Nasoni. Inside is a museum section, surrounded by beautiful gardens and valuable from various eras parts. In this set, also stands the chapel in honor of Our Lady of Joy.
Classified as a national monument, this church was built in the twelfth century, the first parish seat of Vila Real, housing the graves of emblematic figures of the city, as João Teixeira de Macedo, a nobleman from the Royal House and Lourenço Viegas was swords mate D. Afonso Henriques.
Current Cathedral of Vila Real, this was built in the fifteenth century at the behest of the religious of Santo Domingo de Guimarães. A gothic and romantic line, its architecture presents robust, on the facade are the images of St. Dominic and St. Francis of Assisi. Due to a major fire in 1837, much of its heritage was decimated. The last intervention works took place in the tower of the eighteenth century, having been placed new stained glass. In Sé are conducted daily services.