Vila do Bispo
It is a village of the district and is county seat of 4 parishes Barão de São Miguel; Budens; Sagres; Vila do Bispo and Raposeira. The Vila do Bispo municipality is delimited to the north by Aljezur, northeast of Lagos and the coast by the majestic mass of Atlantic water. From the coast of the city to the beach of Burgau, the Vila do Bispo municipality is part of the Natural Park of Southwest Alentejo and Costa Vicentina.
A little history of Vila do Bispo
Relying on the human presence since the days of prehistory, the Vila do Bispo area is surrounded by the Atlantic Ocean on three fronts. In 1662, it became the county itself, when King Afonso IV granted the ancient village of Bishop to an important member of the nobility, Martim Afonso de Melo, 2nd Earl of St. Lawrence, with the figure of the movement of the Restoration of the Portuguese Independence in 1640.
To marry a descendant of the former Bishop of Silves, D. Fernando Coutinho, who had been assigned the old village of Santa Maria Cape, by King Manuel I in 1515, the name D. Madalena da Silva, the 2nd Earl St. Lawrence called the king Alfonso VI to his deeds military and government posts were rewarded in this way, occupied the village of Bishop, on condition of raising it to the village with its own autonomy.
The site of historical capital of the Bishop of Vila region and Portugal, is the village of Sagres, whose origins date back to the construction of Prince Henry, a man known for important maritime navigations, Portugal who designed the seas of the world, and here in Sagres died. This command lift the Sagre tip in the fifteenth century and that would lead to a War Square, where the last profile was completed in 1793. The town of Sagres was a place of support and protection of navigation which required the stops and military garrison and was the county until the mid-nineteenth century, giving it to Bishop Village. From the 60s of XX century, with the tourist boom, the Bishop of Vila region grew and was designed, gaining prominence for its conditions and scenic beauty and historical and cultural interest.